Friday, June 10, 2011

Opening This Weekend: Hotel Chains

The Actual Poster for the Film
I'm going out of town for a conference this weekend, so I won't be able to see any new movies. Good thing I already saw the main weekend movie back in 1985.

Super 8 -- JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg present...one giant mash-up of 80s Spielberg films. I'm sure it is very good, but I'm trying not to pay attention to it. I think the less I know about this movie, the better. I was really into Cloverfield before it was released, and then I felt so empty when I knew what the monster looked liked before he even appeared. However, I probably am missing tons of cool JJ Viral Marketing. Was there any good ones?

Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer -- Here's one for the kids. I won't knock this, because when I was younger, I would have killed for a Wayside School movie. Then they made a Wayside School cartoon, and I actually wanted to kill people after that disaster.

Trollhunter -- The original Norwegian version. Think Cloverfield (interesting weekend to release this) or Blair Witch but with Trolls. Thankfully, they are the Jim Henson version trolls, not the naked ones with long hair, or the internet variety. I want to see this, but it is of course playing nowhere near me (but Serenity is for whatever reason. I sense an Abrams vs Whedon nerd war coming)

Viva Riva! -- Here's to keep your eye on. Too bad you won't be able to keep your eyes on it, since it is even in limiter release than Trollhunter. This is a highly acclaimed gangster movie from the Democratic Republic of Congo. It seems to have a Guy Ritchie (Snatch) vibe. It cleaned up at the 2010 African Academy Awards. In other news, there is an African Academy Awards.

The Trip -- A decent looking comedy about rival food critics. It stars Steve Coogan -- a very funny British actor whose only big American role was the director in Tropic Thunder -- Rob Brydon, and director Michael Winterbottom. The three of them tend to work well together a la Simon Pegg/Nick Frost/Edgar Wright.

13 comments:

  1. Super slick poster.
    I hope the designer got paid a shedload of cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't want to watch 2 hours of crap to see 10 seconds of monster. Very disappointed with Cloverfield, and will not continue my Abrams experience with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're remaking Trollhunter for American audiences. Might be solid. I am stoked for it though. I hadn't heard of The Trip or Viva Riva, but they do sound worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im definitely watching The Trip, Coogan is one of the funniest people alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cloverfield kind of disappointed me too :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looked kinda interestin g =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah the cover is sick rly... but what about the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like a rip off of the goonies

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trollhunter is STRONGLY recommended. A smashing film, in my honest opinion. Not the best production quality, but certainly one of the better Norwegian films (trust me: those number in the few)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do want to see Super 8. Trollhunter sounds awesome, and the Trip sounds like a funny premise. Liking your blog amigo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard this was a really awesome movie. I gotta go see it.

    ReplyDelete